Canada Student Job – Marine Operations Assistant
Summer Job (8 weeks)
Looking to work in a dynamic, hands-on environment and learn about port operations and facility maintenance? Port Charlottetown is looking for a flexible and self-motivated individual to join the team as a Marine Operations Assistant.
- Under the direction of the Terminal Operations Coordinator provide a variety of services for vessels whilst docked at the Port, including fresh water supply and minor cargo movements.
- Ensure Port Covid protocols are implemented and always maintained.
- Provide feedback to the Port Manager regarding operational performance levels
- Assisting with the day-to-day maintenance of Port Charlottetown, Seaport Vendor Village and Founders Hall.
- Providing support re facility maintenance issues and assisting in the preparation of the terminal for the upcoming 2022 commercial vessel and cruise ship season.
- Researching potential green initiative implementation and evaluating certifications available to Port Charlottetown.
- In collaboration with the staff at Port Charlottetown, ensuring the Cruise Operational Plan and overall cruise services makes effective and efficient use of the facility to deliver world class standards.
- Responding to and completing tenant or supervisor maintenance requests.
- Working as a team to meet the demands and maintain the reputation of the location.
- Identifying safety concerns to managers and using sound judgement to take corrective actions
- Completing opening and closing checks
- Performing other assigned duties as required.
Must be fluent in English, bilingualism is an asset. Must demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills and be customer service oriented. Must be self-motivated with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and as a part of a team. Basic understanding of electrical, plumbing and carpentry. Excellent organization and time management skills, and the ability to perform a diverse portfolio of tasks is required for this position. Physical requirements include being able to stand for extended periods of time, push/lift 50lbs if required, bending at waiting, sitting, kneeling, crouching as job may require. Some weekend/evening work is required and must be available to work on cruise days. Basic computer skills.
The Federal Government of Canada has mandated all federally regulated marine sectors to implement a vaccination policy. Port Charlottetown requires all employees, contractors, suppliers, and those entering Port areas, who are not exempt on medical or other human rights grounds, to be fully vaccinated as a condition of working in any of our Port areas.
Skill which will be developed include:
- Maritime security- training given by Maritime Facility Security Officer on staff
- An understanding of Maritime Transportation Security Regulations
- Communication and teamwork skills
- Client service skills
- Port maintenance logistics for cruise and commercial vessels
- Retail facility management skills
- Day to day maintenance of an international port facility
- Organizational and time management skills
- Diagnostic skills: problem solving and critical thinking
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org